[mythtvnz] Introduction

Steve Hodge mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 16:35:50 +1300

On 12/1/05, Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz> wrote:
> Mythtv stores your tv in one of two formats:
>
> 1. both formats use the nuv container and filename extension, ie
> file.nuv.

Video compressed by MythTV (from framebuffer capture cards) is stored
with in nuv containers. Video from hardware encoders is stored "as is"
but named with a ".nuv" extension, as you say below. It's not a nuv
container file though. I believe the current development version names
these files correctly.

> 2. mpeg2 material as produced by the hauppauge card like yours is
> actually stored as it comes, and is playable on windows, provided
> windows has the right codecs (eg if it can play a commercial dvd it will
> obviously have the right codec)

Yes.

> 3. material from a framegrabber is stored in a different codec, RTjpeg
> or somesuch, you need to install a windows codec for playing that in,
> e.g, windows media player.

There are two codecs in use, depending on your capture settings in
MythTV. One is RTjpeg, the other is mpeg4. The Myth directshow filters
should handle either.

So there's really three possibilities:
nuv container + RTjpeg codec
nuv container + mpeg4 codec
hardware encoder output (usually mpeg2 TS).

> 4. On windows I think I am right in saying vlc will play either format
> anyway, without additional codecs, because vlc doesn't, in general.
> require external codecs, they brew their own.

I've found vlc to be a bit unstable. Maybe that's just me though. I've
had more sucess with other players using the Myth directshow codecs.

Steve