[HTS-members] Jubilee footbridge repairs

HTS Secretary secretary at taplowsociety.org.uk
Sat Aug 14 18:06:13 BST 2021

Dear member

You may be interested in the mail below concerning repairs to the Jubilee
footbridge.

In addition to aesthetic choice there are the concerns of local residents
over the scale of bad behaviour around this bridge, in particular jumping
off the bridge into the Jubilee.

Option 1 appears a better aesthetic choice. Option 2 may better discourage
jumping. Durability must be a concern but personally I find it difficult to
believe that a wooden system would only last 20 years if quality materials
were used. The deck carries virtually no load other than its own weight.

You are obviously free to comment directly to the county but if you let me
know any views we can make an HTS response if we are in accord.

Roger Worthington, Secretary HTS

Dear Councillor's / Taplow Parish Council Clerk,

As I am sure you are aware, the Berry Hill Footbridge in Taplow has been
closed to the general public since May 2021 on health & safety grounds.
This right of way footbridge has suffered a structural failure and Transport
for Buckinghamshire is working to replace the central span of this
footbridge, as some structurally-critical timber sections have deteriorated
beyond repair.

Site location:

 <https://w3w.co/charm.local.pipe> https://w3w.co/charm.local.pipe

Imagery from Google Streetview - a few years old:

<https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5276413,-0.6962889,3a,75y,216.82h,63.38t/
data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipMxFuz6N1KiHM1kj-O0u5QWwWYSMi80bYhww7Hf!2e10!3e11!6
shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipMxFuz6N1KiHM1kj-O0u5QWwWY
SMi80bYhww7Hf%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-4.561338-ya242.40558-ro-2.7183716-fo100!7i
5376!8i2688> Dorney - Google Maps

The existing structure is a timber Sarum Hardwood Structures Ltd footbridge
with spans of 12m / 37m / 12m with a 2m wide footway.  It is a truss girder
bridge with a flat profile.  The current intention is to retain the timber
side spans and the pier foundations, as these elements are standing the test
of time.  However, as the original timber central span lasted only 20 years,
there is a desire to replace the failed central span with a steel span which
would offer a much longer service life at a comparable cost, which would be
finished with timber elements to soften the look and to match the existing
structure as closely as possible.  The steel would be painted to match the
surrounding environment as closely as possible, to soften its feel.

Our designers have produced the sketches below to help visualise what the
new central span could look like.

*	Option 1 is a like for like replacement in steel, with timber
finishings, to get as close as possible to the existing structure.

*	Option 2 introduces a bow configuration in steel for additional
structural integrity, with timber finishings.

On a related note, there is a known anti-social behaviour issue here, where
people jump off the footbridge into the river.  We are currently considering
what measures could help deter / prevent this unsafe act and the Environment
Agency are currently seeking to improve their planting in this area, as well
as repairing the boundary fences along the river.

Our early design efforts have also indicated that planning permission is
likely to be required for the new central span of this footbridge.  As such,
we are taking this opportunity to identify the key Stakeholders who will
have an interest in this scheme, and to understand their views on the
proposals below and/or on the scheme in general.  If you feel that any other
key Stakeholders should be receiving information such as this please let
myself and Joanne Taylor know.

In the meantime, Transport for Buckinghamshire are planning to reinstate the
footbridge as soon as possible.  Based on our current programme, the
technical & procedural requirements and the Environment Agency's desire to
keep the Jubilee River (flood alleviation channel) free of obstruction in
Winter, we are currently aiming to bring the footbridge back into operation
in Summer / Autumn 2022, sooner if we can.

We look forward to hearing your thoughts on this scheme.

Regards,

Keith Dolan

BSc Eng, CEng, MICE, IMaPS
Structures Team Leader