[HTS-members] AGM, planning, trains and Christmas

HTS Secretary secretary at taplowsociety.org.uk
Sat Dec 14 09:33:05 GMT 2019

Dear Member

Our AGM on Friday 6th was well attended with a most interesting talk by Mark
Bradshaw from National Trust Cliveden. There has been a remarkable level of
buildings restoration work so far but still much to do, together with the
challenge of ever rising visitor numbers.

The meeting unanimously approved a motion that the Society should proceed
with the addition of the names of fallen Taplow combatants of World War II
to the Taplow War Memorial. More on this shortly.

Planning
Thamesbank River Road PL/19/3852/FA
It is most welcome that this house is moving back into use as a family
residence. Changes are proposed for the building's appearance and many of
them are in contravention of the Taplow Riverside Conservation Area
guidelines. Many objections have been made and it will be interesting to see
at what level SBDC assign importance to these guidelines.
Burwood House PL/19/4100/FA
Burwood is a large local estate (address is in Burnham but much of the
estate is within Taplow) although less well known than Cliveden and
Dropmore. The owners plan a complete restructuring of the estate including a
new house, "comparable to those of Cliveden and Dropmore".

Royal Borough Vision Consultation.
On 23rd November a consultation was held by JTP Architects on behalf of the
Royal Borough to establish how residents wanted to see Maidenhead develop
and how this could be best driven and evolved by community groups rather
than just as a council owned document. Subsequent to the consultation a
meeting was arranged between JTP, Taplow Neighbourhood Plan Working Party
and Maidenhead Civic Society to explore a contribution from the Taplow area
as being contiguous with Maidenhead and a partner on the Thames. Nigel
Smales, Martin Knight and Roger Worthington (also members of HTS) and Bob
Dulson of MCS met with  Charles Campion of JTP. The meeting was very
positive and we will be responding with a paper of suggestions which we will
circulate.

The Elizabeth Line
>From this Sunday we will have the new trains (remember they are loo-less)
and will see them on Sundays at Taplow as well! Still only going as far as
Paddington though - we have to be patient for quite some time yet for the
full glory. The new footbridge is not far behind either.

On a happy note: Carols on the Green!
Monday 23rd 6pm
There will be mulled wine, hot chocolate and cakes as well as the main
event, singing our favourite carols around the very colourful Christmas
tree!
Any donations on the night will be greatly appreciated, and will be shared
between the Church to help raise money for the new, much needed heating
system, and the Brett Foundation which helps homeless people, especially
around Christmas time. So every penny will go towards an amazing cause!

On a more sombre note:
Thames Valley Police are offering an on-line free anti-terrorism training if
you have concerns in this area: ACT Awareness e-Learning package
<https://ct.highfieldelearning.com/>

On behalf of the HTS Committee may I wish you all a very happy Christmas and
that we can be hopeful for 2020.

Roger Worthington, Secretary HTS