[HTS-members] HTS updates

Roger roger at worthingtonia.co.uk
Sun Dec 31 11:44:41 GMT 2017

Dear Member

Our AGM on 8th December was held with a capacity attendance. All officers
and committee members were re-elected, although president Eva Lipman made a
plea for representatives from some unrepresented areas of Hitcham and
Taplow.  Martin Knight gave a greatly appreciated talk on modern bridge
design and the history of our new footbridge across the Thames from Mill
Lane. The bridge was finally installed only a few days after his talk,
though will not be open for use for some time yet. A thank you to Martin for
his vision and to Berkeley Homes for its commitment to building it.

There are a lot of road repair activities coming along in the new year. We
usually post details as they arrive on the society web but they include:

A long overdue re-laying of the Station Road footpath (thankyou to our BCC
councillor Dev Dhillon for this and for the earlier re-surfacing of
Ellington and River Roads).

Closures of Institute Road and the High Street for mains work.

Road re-surfacing on the Bath Road and Cliveden Road.

BCC Councillor Shaw has announced the intention to proceed with the A4
Cycleway, despite the levels of criticisms raised.

Planning applications:
There is rarely a lull in developer applications in Taplow. We need your
support and membership to be able to make a constructive contribution to
this never ending pressure on our still largely rural setting.

*       Mill Lane
Berkeley Homes have applied to alter the approved layout in the area
currently occupied by their showroom and site management facilities to make
room for a pub / restaurant, an application for which is expected next year.
With planning approval already given for conversion of the Old and New
Boathouses to residential, we await an application from egg Homes to develop
the site.

*       Roots smallholding, Bath Road - an application is expected to
develop a Care Home on this site by Taplow Station. The yet-to-emerge Local
Plan is expected to remove the site from the Green Belt.

*       Silchester House Day Nursery, Bath Road - an application has been
submitted to re-develop the site. An earlier application in 2014 was
refused.

On a positive note:

*       The Royal Borough has made a good job of installing new illumination
on the Maidenhead Bridge without it becoming garish.

*       The Christmas tree has returned to the Green after enforced absence
during re-seeding. The tree is funded by a bequest from Joanna Brooking, who
lived at 1 Elm View.

*       The Christmas Carols on the Green were very successful.

*       All the above will be reported on in the spring edition of our
newsletter. Please give thought to something you could contribute to this to
keep it the vibrant and informative magazine that it is. Contact Nigel
Smales on 01628 661636 or at editor at taplowsociety.org.uk
<mailto:editor at taplowsociety.org.uk> .

*       Although we have sadly lost two stalwarts of the society this year,
we continue energetically to support and promote the quality of Taplow life.

May we wish you all a successful 2018 in a happy Taplow.

Roger Worthington, Secretary
07787556309

This mail has been sent to you from the Hitcham and Taplow Society. If has
been sent to you in error or you do not wish to receive such communications,
please reply to  <mailto:secretary at taplowsociety.org.uk>
secretary at taplowsociety.org.uk and we will remove you.