[GNUz] GNU/Linux support Weds 7.30pm

Rik Tindall ask at infohelp.co.nz
Mon Oct 2 22:07:45 BST 2017

Hi all, monthly notice, October 4.

Tomorrow night is the GNU/Linux Users' workshop: 7.30pm-9.30pm in the
South Learning Centre (SLC), through rear door of South Christchurch
Library at 66 Colombo Street, Cashmere:
https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/locations/SOUTH/

LiveDVD/thumbdrive installs of freenix* distributions are used to
demonstrate alternative desktop environments in the SLC computer lab of
good i5 machines. Ubuntu-MATE is the Debian GNU/Linux variant we most
display and Long Term Support releases like 16.04 are recommended,
although 17.04 runs very well and will upgrade to 17.10 in two weeks'
time. See http://debian.org background and
http://ubuntu-mate.org/download/ for these distros and
http://distrowatch.com for a great many more to choose from.

BYO distributions and new technologies welcome; overhead projector -
let us know if you have a presentation to offer.

This week we organise the Software Freedom Day event, to be run at the
lab on Saturday week.

Thank you for the support of this workshop and the Software Freedom Day
annual installfest event.

Kind regards,

Rik Tindall

pp Sydenham GNU/Linux Users
http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/gnuz
Software Freedom Day, Team Christchurch South, 15-September-2018
http://www.facebook.com/TeamChristchurchSFD
* Freenix: Unix-derived Free and Open-Source Software (FOSS) esp. Linux
& BSD