[GNUz] To bEFI or not bEFI

Rik Tindall ask at infohelp.co.nz
Sun Jan 24 23:27:06 GMT 2016

,.. that is the question.

A great benefit of running GNU/Linux is the ability to extend longevity
of computer hardware significantly. It works so well that the commercial
upgrade cycle can be broken free of, yet this could invoke being left
behind by technical progress. Summer holiday can be a good time for
catch-up study projects!..

So my question please is, are there known pitfalls, risks or
performance losses in disabling UEFI to use legacy boot (BIOS portion)
on a modern PC under *nix?

Where many Linux kernel distributions well manage EFI now, is there any
gain from having your install do so? That is, are there malware or
rootkits circulating that target Linux, as far as any of us know?

The question arises because I found that getting my test triple-boot
Windows 7, 10, and Mint desktop platform to work required enabling
legacy boot instead of full EFI. I don't see a 2TB hard drive as
necessary or have use for more than 8GB RAM, so is there anything else I
could still need from UEFI under *nix?

The new platform is designed for providing user support around Skype,
that on Windows 10 can only be accessed through a registered Microsoft
login. Skype is supported quite well in Mint. (Personally, my solution
had been not to utilise Skype, but rest of the world isn't like that,
mostly.)

With the near future likely to bring manufacturer UEFI lock-in to
Windows 10, that itself appears to be moving towards an annual licence
fee (to use a computer) from 2017, one bottle-neck we might want to be
aware of is will there be enough *nix technicians in the global
community to support all the computer users wanting to keep using the
current stock of hardware 'freely'?

Interesting times.

Thank you for any feedback, and Happy New Year.

Regards

Rik