[GNUz] Software Freedom Day site

don at robertson.net.nz don at robertson.net.nz
Wed Jul 23 01:10:43 BST 2014

Hi all,

afraid I have been wandering along exploring by-ways and taking the
scenic route, but just realised Software Freedom Day is getting close,
so time to get back into the cycle lane and make some progress. So have
been deleting and consolidating a lot of stuff from the development
site, and have uploaded the latest version to the web.

But before you rush off and take a look, a few things. I have not spent
a lot of time on the 'theme' - and if anyone has ideas for icons,
backgrounds and so forth, let me know. And there still needs to be some
tweaking of the CSS, image sizes and so on. And there is not a lot of
content there - so am assuming it will work with more content. And if
you sign up to the site, the permissions will probably be very
restrictive.

Anyway - I've added the two teams - Gnuz Linux and Addington net, and a
fake team in Waiheke for testing. Teams are actually a taxonomy term -
seemed like a good idea at the time, but I'm not sure how I am going to
let change their team info without giving them access to other teams.
But I can trust team editors, right?

I've also added three events - the Linux Installfest/workshop, Addington
net's event, a Business Software thing, and another one for Waiheke.

You can also add event updates and news that get listed on the event
pages, and the news page.

There is room for four main sponsors, and eight other sponsors. Sponsors
can also add news to their Sponsor pages.

There is also news items - I have added some links to a few things, and
I think it would be a good idea to limit the news pages to things that
are about or happen in New Zealand. I don't necessarily think it needs
to be limited to items about FOSS, though - the whole related 'open *'
thing. I've put a link to a podcast about Arduino, for example. To make
it easy to add links, there is a bookmarklet that I'll post on the site
somewhere soon.

And there are maps, rss, ical, etc.

I am going to add an Online Event category too.

Well - that's about it. I'd like to get it tidy enough to make live by
the beginning of next week, so take a look on your PC's, phones,
tablets, fridge doors, TV's etc - particularly Windows and Apple things
- I haven't really looked with anything other than Linux and Adroid. I
suppose I should set up something so Windows users can comment
anonymously ....

If anyone wants to get a team together and put on an event, the best
thing to do at the moment would be to join the site, and then email me
to let me know. I've used Open Street Maps - so if there is anyone from
the NZ Open Street Map groups, get in touch. I'll post to their mailing
list too.

Thanks for your patience. The site is at http://dev.sfd.org.nz.

Don