[GNUz] [Linux-users] Software Freedom Day invite 17 Sept

Rik Tindall ask at infohelp.co.nz
Fri Sep 16 21:03:53 BST 2011

Dear Canterbury Linux users,

The difficulties of raising public / civic awareness about Linux, BSD
and GNU etc have been compounded by our local earthquakes. But you will
have seen from the media work yesterday that Software Freedom Day is
going ahead, as usual, on 17 Sept in South Library from 10am. Please
feel welcome to participate, in whatever way and bringing whatever
free/open software you like to show and share.

An "Installfest" has been mentioned but not pushed, because demand for
this is usually limited. But we never can tell, as the Christchurch City
Council "Be there" events site and facilities staff do support our work
with them. That's great, so let's make the most of this annual
opportunity to get together for larger FOSS Fun and outreach.

Demonstration boxes are very welcome. We have a whole empty room for
these, with probable networking capacity - as well as what links the
tuition lab. Anyone can talk on anything they want - we will organise
teaching resource per supply and demand. Usually there are enough of us
to match the flow of questions and install help brought to us.
Videos/DVDs can be shown.

Thank you for any level of support that you can bring to Software
Freedom Day. There are spare posters, balloons and gift CDs. All
welcome. Hoping to see you tomorrow.

http://bethere.co.nz/community/2011/2809-software-freedom-day-09

http://wiki.softwarefreedomday.org/2011/NewZealand/Christchurch/SouthLibrary

Kind regards