[GNUz] [Linux-users] Software Freedom Days

Rik Tindall ask at infohelp.co.nz
Sun Sep 19 11:48:52 BST 2010

Hello CLUG friends,

> On 18/09/10 20:31, Ryan McCoskrie wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday 15 September 2010 12:14:22 Rik Tindall wrote:
>>

>>> This weekend is Software Freedom Day, the annual international
>>> celebration of free and open-source software.
>>>
>>> The usual South Library, South Learning Centre PC lab venue will be open
>>> - from 10am to 4pm at 66 Colombo Street in Beckenham, on Sunday 19
>>> September.
>>>
>>> This year we are joined by Team Lucid, who will do promotional work for
>>> the event from 11am to 3pm at the Central Library in Gloucester Street,
>>> on Saturday 18 September.
>>>
>> I'd really like to hear some stories about the installfest planned for
>> tomorrow.

By way of reporting on Software Freedom Day '10 and the local LUG context..

This was the least prepared-for SFD (for various reasons) and thus the
smallest SFD turnout since the event began in 2004. But it was still
well worth doing, for reasons both technical and social:

Technical - at least seven people new to GNU/Linux and/or CLUG visited
SFD this year, to learn about the alternative operating system
offerings. Not just basic needs for more information were met, as we got
through four installation queries from amongst the visitors: Lubuntu
supplied for user to replace Win98 on a 500MHz machine; a DVD-writer
recognition issue resolved; repository failure for Feisty Fawn solved by
supply of Lucid Lynx; Lucid Lynx removed for users' reversion to Jaunty
Jackalope (better wireless function), with consequent GRUB repair. Some
of this work was referred on to us by Team Lucid the day before - a
useful collaboration has been initiated. So there is definite demand to
be met re GNU/Linux assistance (with the most minimal advertising done
this year).

Social - at least ten people experienced in GNU/Linux attended to help
SFD this year, a strong level of support. The *nix peer group likes
regular meetings, just for fun and technical banter, as a contributing
community. There are other groups in town that do much the same thing.
One ran an SFD day#1 this year at Central Library, as the Lucid
Information Systems team. Another has regular Friday drinks at the
Twisted Hop - Effusion Group. Then there is the NZ Python Users Group
too - recent Chch conference. Plus a sysadmins' monthly meet? Gamers'
playing group? Disparate professionals. Etc.

So talk traversed ways we could revive CLUG activity, with some ideas
that subscribers may now like to comment on..

1) Dissolve "Free Software Group" to operate South Library events as and
for Canterbury Linux Users Group.

2) Feature monthly technical talks in the South Library lab space, like
CLUG used to do at St Albans.

3) Thus get CLUG people together more, to see if we could aim to host a
Christchurch linuxconf.au in future - before or after Auckland takes
their turn - as a Canterbury Linux Users Group rebuilding exercise.

4) More discussion welcome.

Thanks everyone for the SFD help.

Cheers, Rik