[GNUz] [Fwd: Re: RMS to visit NZ] - The Great Hall Sponsorship Application

Tim trmusson at ihug.co.nz
Sat Jul 19 05:33:11 BST 2008

Don Gould wrote:
> Please don't flame me, if you have issue then let's hear why.

It's a great letter :^)

Just a couple of tiny things I'd (personally) change...

> -----------------
> Richard Stallman is to free software what Bill Gates is to commercial
> software.

I'd change that 'commercial' to 'proprietary'. One of Microsoft's
favourite habits is to describe Free and Open Source Software as
"non-commercial", as a way of making it sound unsuitable for commercial
use.

> Google is run on free software and simply wouldn't exist if the people
> who built it had been force to use commercial licensed software.

(Same again - s/commercial/proprietary/)

> "Source code is to software what a recipe is to a cake."

> It struck us as a bit ironic to suggest charging a fee to come and hear
> a man talk about why you should give your software away for free.

I think the letter would be even better without that sentence. (I mean,
RMS encourages the use of Free Software commercially as well as in
general. I know that _you_ understand that, but I think that sentence
might lead Nigel to the wrong idea, maybe.)

Best regards,

Tim
--
Timothy Musson                         FSF Associate Member
http://www.russianclub.wikidot.com/    http://www.fsf.org/