[GNUz] [Fwd: Re: RMS to visit NZ]

Don Gould don at bowenvale.co.nz
Tue Jul 15 07:57:40 BST 2008

Jim Cheetham wrote:
> That won't help ... even though I think the vodem software on betavine
> is GPLd, expecting RMS to install things on his machine in order to
> get to the network isn't practical. Just present the Internet over
> ethernet, with DHCP.

IIRC Rik doesn't have BB at his house in Cashmere.  He also didn't seem
very interested in getting it.

I figure it's fair enough that Rik shouldn't have to sign up to Xtra or
TC for a 12 month contract just so RMS can check his mail...

I'm sure with all the brains around here and the resource everyone's got
sitting free in their computer rooms, we can find a middle ground?

I've also go some wifi cards here.

Surely we can find an old laptop and set up an AP of some sort?

Rik's laptop has an AP/Master compliant chip in it.

Does anyone know if RMS has wifi on his laptop?

I could find a cross over cable in my kit some where if that helps?

Cheers Don