[GNUz] [Fwd: Re: RMS to visit NZ]

Rik Tindall ask at infohelp.co.nz
Mon Jul 14 04:15:20 BST 2008

Nick Rout wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 1:33 PM, Rik Tindall <ask at infohelp.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> Ok folks, please circulate amongst friends & contacts, in all South
>> Island parts, that RMS will be flown direct to Christchurch on Saturday
>> or Sunday, 16 or 17 August; and he'll probably fly out of NZ, from
>> Christchurch, on Wednesday 20 August. We'll organise an evening meal out
>> and a public talk or two - hopefully including UniCanty - at the least.
>> Expressions of interest, for more events / locales, most welcome.
>>

> Who is paying the airfares?

Me, to get RMS here from Palmerston North, + passing hat to cover hall
costs etc.

e.g. I have a preliminary booking for the 100-seat chamber at Our City
Otautahi for Monday 18 Aug. Could we need something bigger?

RMS departing Christchurch/NZ would trip organiser / RMS concern, and
not ours, I believe.

> Have you read his Info pack?

Yes. That's fine.

>> Dinners:
>>
>> If you are thinking of setting up a lunch or dinner for me with more
>> than 4 people total, please consider that as a meeting, and discuss it
>> with me in advance.  Such meals draw on my strength, just like
>> speeches and interviews.  They are not relaxation, they are work.
>>
>> I expect to do work during my visit, but there is a limit on the
>> amount of work I can handle each day.  So please ask me in advance
>> about any large planned meal, and expect me to say no if I have a lot
>> of other work already.  If we are having a meal that I did not agree
>> to as a large meal, and other people ask if they can join, please tell
>> them no.  In both cases, please tell them that I need a chance to
>> relax after the other work I will have done.

Will write a summary of plans - perhaps 1 meeting (/meal) per day while
RMS is here - with an invite, to RMS, and CC it here, asap.

Will also post notice to CLUG once we have definite arrangements.

All seem ok to you Nick?

Cheers, Rik