No subject

Sun May 18 21:23:12 BST 2008

think the description should be fairly accurate. I'll also use this
notice as the basis of some posters which should be stuck up around
campus in the next few days. If anybody has any corrections we could
probably sweet-talk the editor of Canta into making some changes in the
next couple of days, or any further suggestions for the posters would
be gratefully accepted (as it stands, the notice is at the word limit
we were given so we can't really add anything to it).<br>
We will also need to update the website ASAP so people visiting it for
further details actually get further details as opposed to an
out-of-date page...<br>
Blair<br>
------------------------------------------------------------<br>
<b><br>
RMS On Campus<br>
</b>
Free Software Foundation and a pioneer of the concept of copyleft -
the idea that the recipient of a piece of work, be it software or
otherwise, should have the ability to copy, share and modify the work
to improve it for all. He also set up the GNU project to develop a
completely free operating system which came to fruition in the
GNU/Linux operating system widely used today, and was the instigator
of numerous programs including Emacs, the GNU Compiler Collection and
the GNU Debugger.<br>
of his time advocating free software and related topics and as such
is a widely requested speaker. Richard will be presenting a talk
entitled "Computers, GNU, and Free Culture" in lecture theatre A1
this Saturday at 2pm which will be followed by a question and answer
session. This will cover the problems with the current copyright
system and changes needed to promote progress in the digital age,
along with the goals and philosophy of the Free Software movement.<br>
with no bookings required. For further details see
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
 href="http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/freeculture">www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/freeculture</a></p>

--Boundary_(ID_4WKKsH8ZBGtNM3nHtUNLqA)--