[GNUz] GNU developments in ubuntu

Rik Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Thu, 21 Jun 2007 11:47:43 +1200

Nick Rout wrote:
> I dunno if others on this list have picked up on the announcement of
> the next version of Ubuntu, "Gutsy Gibbon". Here is part of the
> announcement from mark shuttleworth:
>
> "Ubuntu 7.10 will feature a new flavour - as yet unnamed - which takes
> an ultra-orthodox view of licensing: no firmware, drivers, imagery,
> sounds, applications, or other content which do not include full
> source materials and come with full rights of modification, remixing
> and redistribution. There should be no more conservative home, for
> those who demand a super-strict interpretation of the "free" in free
> software. This work will be done in collaboration with the folks
> behind Gnewsense."
>
> The announcement is here:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2007-April/000276.html
> and the parodies are in already:
> http://geekz.co.uk/lovesraymond/archive/taking-freedom-further

Well, we tried to hook up the glu teaching suite to the clug/gnuz mail
lists last night, via a projected Thunderbird, but didn't have the ports
for it; 631? So no 'in-time' reply, sorry. But Tim will be pleased to
know his donated Gnewsense CD was running live for people to look at -
tidy & interesting, thanks. Nick's links made for good reading too, but
the cartoons flew over a few heads.

Cheers

--
Rik