[GNUz] What did the FSF ever do for us?

Rik Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Wed, 09 May 2007 17:02:41 +1200

Hi, thanks Tim, sorry for the late reply..

1) Congratulations Pia! The new SFD front end is lean & green, with
significant clarity / leanings towards Free Software. Well done on how
you are leading resolution of this enormous project's essence.

Noted too is that a major SFD partner, UNDP-APDIP International Open
Source Network, has become very specific about its "Free/Open Source
Software (FOSS)". All good :)

Wanting to draw a line under this (FOSS/FLOSS debate/divergence), to get
onto something more useful, I promised these closing points..

The beginning and the end of the matter - as far as I can tell - is:

If you've getting your English meaning from a non-English speaker, then
you went there for something else.

Unity (around the majority-use FOSS?) is what free/open*nix really
needs, to grow, we know. Which is why it seems necessary to put to one
side (for CLUG et al to pursue, or to drop as well?) this pointless
argument. A decision is required to proceed - as on any project - and
once it is made, then we just have to accept "that's how it is" (here);
like, once a democracy has elected a 'left' or 'right' government, then
everyone just gets on with working under _that's_the_way_it_is_, or they
choose to emigrate. i.e. We don't want to waste any more energy over
selecting a banner, because it's the work that's done beneath it that is
what's actually important.

These are the projects I'm most wanting to work with people on, as means
of FOSS advocacy:

GNU/Linux Users
Freenix Workshops
Ubuntu / Free Software class
SFD Team Christchurch..;

all wrapped up behind a 'constitutional' charter now - FSANZ
http://www.infohelp.co.nz/fsanz-constitution.html

It was only because Don sought to challenge my freedom to develop
projects in this way (from his Win/OSS preference) that there has been
any dispute of this FOSS specificity. Hence the ardent countering..

So for the record..

Timothy Musson wrote:
> Timothy Musson wrote:
>> Rik Tindall wrote:
>
>>> a) "Libre" is redundant if you've just said "Free", so why the
>>> initiative to state it?
>
>> The words "libre" and "free" have different meanings. Libre is more
>> specific than the English word "free", and the "libre" sense of "free"
>> is what Free software is all about.
>>
>> So I don't understand why you're okay with FOSS but not FLOSS.
>>
>> If anything, I have a problem with FOSS, since it's less specific about
>> the FSF's goals.

The problem is the sloppy thinking exemplified in the (linguistic etc)
abuse of the Free Software _brand_.

Whereas "free software" - as many users like Phil and sites like
Ubuntu's are prone to enlumpen - includes Free Software (usually), and
closed-source Win-warez, etc - this is a different thing to "Free
Software", the _brand_ of open-source-ware. Subtle, I know, but we need
to grok the difference; and promote it.

 From what I've read 'FLOSS' was picked up as an intentional extension
of the OSS (brand) attack on Free Software's brand (to demarcate "Free"
as _limited_ to "Libre" in meaning, in the way that Don sought to push
the issue too), to advance Europe's leverage in the US-dominated field.
So it's a choice of whether or not you want to join that attack on the
specific Free Software brand, or take the time to explain that Free
Software _includes_ the libre meaning, in every way, already, without
the need to modify the Free Software brand.

I see this defence as very important, for FS(F) integrity, and for
retaining all cost options derived from Free.

>> Personally, I prefer "Free software" (because I know exactly what sense
>> of the word "free" I'm talking about).

Me too. Unreservedly. But with the two capitals.

>> If I'm talking/writing to people
>> who might not feel the same way, I think "FLOSS" is probably the best
>> choice to keep everyone happy.

That objective is arguably impossible :)

Whereas you're more likely to win them over to the _correct_ use of
language (manifest as brands).

> To put it another way, "FOSS" could mean "gratis Open Source software".
> And I have less than zero interest in "gratis Open Source software". It
> says nothing to about liberty.

Liberty implies all the senses you cite: gratis, & not; also freedom -
to use a Free brand in this variegated way.

The 'FLOSS' campaign is an injunction to delimit "Free" usage, and you,
nor anyone, have no legal right to intercede in Free Software branding
in this way, as I see it.

Simply, adding the Free Software and Open Source _brands_ together gives
us just "FOSS", legitimately. Adding "Libre" into the equation is a
confusion of references, adding a linguistic externality. For whatever
reason it is done, by compromising the particular brands, I just feel
that it's wrong and do not wish to endorse it.

> You know, even Microsoft provides some of it's non-libre software under
> an "Open Source" license that could be described as "FOSS", if you take
> "free" to mean gratis.
>
> Tim

That is precisely the point. We _never_ take "Free" (the brand) to mean
'just gratis'. Is it licensed GPL? - If not _it's_not_Free_. If it is,
you are free to charge for it. It is 'Not/Open Source' for Windows that
is more likely to be "free" (gratis) - a la Netscape.

The simpler promotion of Free Software is what's achieved by "FOSS", the
web-published record seems to show.

Happily exiting this question,

Cheers
--