[GNUz] RMS on "World Domination 201"

Jim Cheetham gnuz@inode.co.nz
Wed, 9 May 2007 09:49:32 +1200

On 07/05/07, Timothy Musson <trmusson@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
> Here's an interesting article about compromise:
>
> http://www.libervis.com/article/richard_stallman_on_world_domination_201
>
> But the most interesting bit is the discussion at the end, in the
> comments section.

Thanks Tim. Although I recommend people to read the ESR paper first (
http://catb.org/~esr/writings/world-domination/world-domination-201.html
)

As you say, the comments are interesting - I particularly liked

http://www.libervis.com/article/richard_stallman_on_world_domination_201#comment-8755
 > But Freedom extends to FreeBSD, and Windows, and BeOS, and Symphony
and all of the OSes unwritten. When "Linux" is a driving force, that
is how the companies will respond, with LINUX drivers. That's not what
we want. We want Free drivers, Free formats.

I don't completely agree with all the implications of that statement -
especially because a Linux driver can easily be a Free driver, if it
is issued under a Free license. The poster seems to be worried that
the sort of limited tactical license grant that ESR is proposing will
result in a new class of software; "available to be run legally under
Linux+Codex". That seems like a valid concern ...

-jim