[GNUz] What did the FSF ever do for us?

Timothy Musson gnuz@inode.co.nz
Sat, 5 May 2007 02:27:12 +1200

Rik Tindall wrote:
> Nick Rout wrote:
> >On Fri, May 4, 2007 1:29 pm, Sue McGaw wrote:
> >>yes i was dissapointed in reply from SFd organiser who lumped FLOSS and
> >>Foss together as one.,
> >Please explain the difference between floss and foss? (I don't believe
> >there is one, so please explain

> a) "Libre" is redundant if you've just said "Free", so why the
> initiative to state it?

The words "libre" and "free" have different meanings. Libre is more
specific than the English word "free", and the "libre" sense of "free"
is what Free software is all about.

So I don't understand why you're okay with FOSS but not FLOSS.

If anything, I have a problem with FOSS, since it's less specific about
the FSF's goals.

Personally, I prefer "Free software" (because I know exactly what sense
of the word "free" I'm talking about). If I'm talking/writing to people
who might not feel the same way, I think "FLOSS" is probably the best
choice to keep everyone happy.

Tim
--
trmusson@ihug.co.nz