[GNUz] What did the FSF ever do for us?

Philip Charles gnuz@inode.co.nz
Fri, 4 May 2007 22:58:16 +1200

On Friday 04 May 2007 22:33, Rik Tindall wrote:

> a) "Libre" is redundant if you've just said "Free", so why the
> initiative to state it? - Because it conditions "Free", in the very
> same way that is already achieved by the "OSS" in FOSS, prior to
> replacing it entirely. i.e. A number of European+ programmers are
> pushing to remove the "gratis" option within Freedom 2, through "Libre"
> usage, though more want to keep it.

Surely free-libre is used to distinguish "free" from free-gratis.
I have known free-gratis as an English expression since the days computers
used vacuum tubes.

FLOSS  (free-libre)(open sourse) software.

Phil.

   +64 3 488 2818        Fax +64 3 488 2875        Mobile 027 663 4453
   philipc@copyleft.co.nz - personal.    info@copyleft.co.nz - business
  I sell GNU/Linux & GNU/Hurd CDs & DVDs.   See http://www.copyleft.co.nz