[GNUz] What did the FSF ever do for us?

Rik Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Fri, 04 May 2007 11:15:35 +1200

Jim Cheetham wrote:
>> > Are the FSF and GNU still important?.. where
>>
>> fair to assume the conclusion is affirmative?
>
> Oh no, this is LUG Radio :-)
>
> Matt Lee is positive, because he's from GNU; the regular crowd are
> basically objectors. But it's good to hear the objections (some valid,
> some simply stupid and uninformed).

Hmm. It's taken me years to grasp that the 'community campaign' we're
part of, under "Linux", is actually the complete liquidation of GNU.
That is the opposite of what attracted me to the field, from the
(Win)sysad distance.

The question is what, if anything, should be done in redressing the
(im)balance. "Stupid and uninformed" often comes from surprisingly high
places.

Thanks for the item summary,

--
Rik