[GNUz] K3B install

Timothy Musson gnuz@inode.co.nz
Fri, 27 Apr 2007 07:03:15 +1200

Timothy Musson wrote:
> fill wrote:
> > Yes, sorry, there is 2 more lines after that. The complete
> > instruction is
>
> > # tar -xjvf k3b-1.0.tar.bz2
> > # cd k3b-1.0
> > # ./configure
> > # make
> > # su -c "make install"
>
> > I have entered it all but was puzzled at it not asking for su
> > password.

> If those hashes (#) represent the prompt you're seeing, it's very
> likely that you're already logged in as root. That would explain why
> 'su' isn't asking you for the password.

Actually, I'd better clarify a bit, in case you haven't used the command
line much before. I apologise if the following is obvious!

When you're using the command line, there's a prompt just in front of
the cursor. Exactly what the prompt looks like depends on your
distro/setup. Here, when I'm logged in as root, my prompt is '#', and
for my regular user account it's '$'.

When someone gives me instructions like this...

  $ ./configure
  # make install

...I take the initial '$' or '#' to represent the prompt, telling me
how I'm supposed to run the command: as a regular user, or as root.

If you actually type the '#' character yourself, it has a special
meaning: it means "the rest of this line is a comment, just ignore it".

Tim
--
trmusson@ihug.co.nz