[GNUz] How does GLU/GNUz differ from CLUG?

Timothy Musson gnuz@inode.co.nz
Fri, 30 Mar 2007 22:53:51 +1200

Nick Rout wrote:
> Pia Waugh wrote:
> > [...] Just to clarify (and I've been following this thread with
> > interest) there are no major FSF groups in Australia, however there
> > are some GNU/LUGs that usually consist of one or two people floating
> > about.  Having said that I feel there is a very strong FLOSS
> > community and a strong representation of Free Software philosophy in
> > Australia throughout the community, regardless of the names used to
> > group those communities. I think that the assumption that a "LUG"
> > doesn't care about FLOSS values beyond a Linux kernel is just a bit
> > silly :) I tend to try to focus on the values we all have in common
> > rather than looking for the differences that divide us. [...]

> Well said, I am not sure that divisions in the ChCh community is needed
> or desirable at all.

(I'm sorry it took 4 million years to reply, but this has been bothering
me and it took a while for me to understand why.)

Nick: ESR, Bruce Perens[1], et al. did the divisive stuff in 1998, when
they split off and coined the term Open Source, specifically to avoid
talking about Free Software. The Free Software folks haven't attempted
to divide anything: they've had the exact same goal since 1984.

But I completely agree that we have no reason not to cooperate on the
bits we all agree on... and there's lots of stuff we all agree on :^)

[1] BTW, Bruce Perens has since changed his mind about Open Source,
    and ESR seems to have gone insane. So go figure :^)

Best regards,

Tim
--
trmusson@ihug.co.nz