[GNUz] How does GLU/GNUz differ from CLUG?

Rik Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Thu, 22 Mar 2007 16:39:35 +1200

Thanks for these..

Timothy Musson wrote:
> Jim Cheetham wrote:
>
>> I'm separating the terms (pointing out the existing separation)
>> because juxtaposng the *words* "GNU" and "Linux" cause a lot of
>> friction, and the flames generated prevent people from working
>> together properly. *BSD uses far less GNU than a "linux", so from that
>> perspective being "pro GNU" is less inclusive of BSD than "pro FSF".

That's new, helpful to know, and a positive tack.

>> I guess "FSANZ" is basically a good idea IMHO, and better/more
>> inclusive than "GNUz".
>
> I think so too. It's the Free (i.e. liberty) aspect that makes Free
> Software worthwhile: not any particular Operating System.

Some good feedback was gained by flicking DRAFT-1 up on screen at our
SFD library workshop last night. There's a local tech.ed institute that
has FOSS of some form in its charter, that is a highly likely
subscriber/sponsor and venue provider for an FSANZ.

PS Jim, noted on NZOSS - you've picked up an OOo teaching stint. I hope
they are paying you :)

>>> Also, see DRAFT-1 http://www.infohelp.co.nz/fsanz-constitution.html as
>>> of today..

- Getting near ready now, from my perspective.

>> I'll have a proper look at that later :-)
>
> Me too! :^)

Just to confirm then; we are good to go in announcing the GNUz list to
be the official mail-list for 'the Free Software association of New
Zealand'? - FSANZ usage #2.

Kia ora
--
Rik