[GNUz] How does GLU/GNUz differ from CLUG?

Jim Cheetham gnuz@inode.co.nz
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 09:38:04 +1200

On 21/03/07, Rik Tindall <ask@infohelp.co.nz> wrote:
> > http://directory.fsf.org/GNU/
> "5,308 packages indexed"? - the list may be incomplete. e.g. KDE

No, this is a list of "GNU Project" software, not a list of
"GPL-licensed" software. The point was to illustrate the difference
between the historical input of GNU and the current input.

You strongly promote GNU - I'm not convinced that they are _currently_
worthy of that level of support :-)

> Hmmm.. I think this is what Tim's getting at really, that anti-DRM, bad
> Vista, etc. etc. is now the higher FSF purpose, from an O/S bedrock.
> Formalising ourselves gives a basis for engaging on all those terms. But
> GPLv3 is probably the main issue we are squaring up for; a healthy
> process is required.

FSF != GNU

"GNUz" => GNU
"FSANZ" => FSF

Your proposed constitution doesn't say "GPL only", and as such may
well allow support for the FSF-blessed licenses ("Free Software",
which != OSI blessed licenses, .: != "Open Source")

> > GNU's Not Unix, and at this rate they never will be. What is GNU? A
> > kernel, a shell, Emacs, and the tools to build more.
>
> Glad to have the contrary case to an A/NZ FSF branch spelled out so
> clearly. Can't see any option but to persevere with it, nonetheless.

Well, that's another instance of GNU != FSF :-)

-jim