[GNUz] How does GLU/GNUz differ from CLUG?

Rik Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Wed, 14 Mar 2007 13:22:33 +1300

Cheers Tim,

Timothy Musson wrote:

> Hmmm! We might be the only "LUG" this side of India that includes GNU in
> its name, but are we really the only group with a Free Software slant?
> (I don't know. I'd be surprised/sad if we are though.)

Pia's added input is significant, so I'll answer this there.

> Your comments have reassured me that GLU/GNUz is the kind of thing I do
> want to help with. I'll try to be more involved this year.

Thanks. Much Appreciated.

>>> Instead, why don't we...
>>> Consider Free alternatives to Ubuntu (gNewSense, Fedora, others?)
>
>> Please specify how Fedora is an advance on Ubuntu.
>
> If what I've read on the gNewSense mailing list is correct, Fedora is
> pretty staunch about software freedom. I'll try to find the gNewSense
> thread/posts I'm thinking of, and post links.

That's ok. I've researched and extracted the substantiating Fedora
statements to here: http://www.hackstop.org/index.php/Fedora

If any more overtly "Free" distros surface in anybody's travels, please
let us know, for their addition to
http://www.hackstop.org/index.php/Hackstop:Community_Portal

One I had previously noted was GNU/LinEx: also Debian-based, from Spain.

One that displays "Freedom" prominently, last time I looked, so should
go into our list now, is Gentoo:

"a free operating system based on either Linux or FreeBSD that can be
automatically optimized and customized for just about any application or
need. Extreme configurability, performance and a top-notch user and
developer community are all hallmarks of the Gentoo experience."

http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml &

"Our tools should be a joy to use, and should help the user to
appreciate the richness of the Linux and free software community, and
the flexibility of free software"

http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/philosophy.xml

(this should please Nick :)

>>> Help folks select and track-down decent hardware.
>
>> Yes, we could start an index of what hardware is open to Free, to offer
>> guidance in purchase decisions.
>
> Yes, that sort of thing! But there are quite a few websites out there
> with this kind of information already - most of them pretty patchy.
> Maybe we could focus on improving one or two that already exist? The one
> maintained by the FSF would be my pick (...it was actually pretty empty
> last time I looked).

Agreed. Starting with the easiest option:
http://www.hackstop.org/index.php/Free_Hardware

Let's keep building up that set of notes, while deciding how/when to
take it further. i.e. post us any good links for the page. As this sort
of collation work is what I'm set up to do professionally, I can
independently guarantee an ongoing contribution.

>>> Come up with a constitution, so that I'm no longer confused :^)
>
> (I see in a subsequent post you've found an example. I haven't taken a
> look yet.)

It's easily modified, so maybe I'll host a draft for us soon and let you
all know..

>> We should start preparing a workshop on the hurd. / Something else?
>
> I wouldn't recommend a Hurd workshop unless it's just for fun ;^)

We have many more practical tasks on our hands, such as finding some
regular Fedora help for users - install, learn & use the latest release?

This is the real explanation for my attachment to Ubuntu - because it
makes user support so much easier. And Debian-, not RedHat-related, had
struck me as more "Free". I'm not yet fully convinced otherwise, given
the 'pragmatics' of our technical field.

> Rik, I know you put a huge amount of time, work and care into GLU/GNUz.
> Thank you.

The interest you are refreshing means there'll be more effort to follow,
much as I was hoping to be able to move on :P

Thanks,
--
Rik