[GNUz] How does GLU/GNUz differ from CLUG?

Pia Waugh gnuz@inode.co.nz
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 16:04:57 +0000

Hi all,

<quote who="Timothy Musson">

> > Logically, we are the only group in NZ (& Oz?) that makes available the
> > time and space to consider formation of an 'FSF branch' (without having
> > studied what defines that yet..) and already GLU is the only GLUG this
> > side of India.
>
> Hmmm! We might be the only "LUG" this side of India that includes GNU in
> its name, but are we really the only group with a Free Software slant?
> (I don't know. I'd be surprised/sad if we are though.)

Just to clarify (and I've been following this thread with interest) there
are no major FSF groups in Australia, however there are some GNU/LUGs that
usually consist of one or two people floating about. Having said that I feel
there is a very strong FLOSS community and a strong representation of Free
Software philosophy in Australia throughout the community, regardless of the
names used to group those communities. I think that the assumption that a
"LUG" doesn't care about FLOSS values beyond a Linux kernel is just a bit
silly :) I tend to try to focus on the values we all have in common rather
than looking for the differences that divide us.

BTW, I certainly am focused on the freedom, the libre aspect of FLOSS. We
just haven't got around yet to changing the name of Linux Australia to
something else (although many people agree this would be a good idea to show
it is about more that a kernel) and we have already started this discussion
and process. I highly doubt we would establish ourselves as FSF Australia
however, FLOSS Australia, FOSS Australia, or something else entirely is all
on the cards.

I think all great outreach and community projects trying to change the world
need a strong set of underlying values with a pinch of practicality.

Cheers,
Pia

--
Linux Australia                                         http://linux.org.au/

    "If you have any trouble sounding condescending, find a Unix user to
                   show you how it's done." - Scott Adams