[GNUz] How does GLU/GNUz differ from CLUG?

Nick Rout gnuz@inode.co.nz
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 09:47:37 +1300 (NZDT)

On Mon, March 12, 2007 5:56 pm, Rik Tindall wrote:
> Nick Rout wrote:
>> Timothy Musson wrote:
>>> [1] Rik, there's no doubt that Ubuntu includes non-Free software, and
>>>     intends to include more in future. To "opt out", you need to pick=
>>>     GNU/Linux distro that does gymnastics to compile a truly free Lin=
ux
>>>     kernel. Ubuntu doesn't do that.
>>
>> I asked on the CLUG list earlier this week if Rik's support of ubuntu
>> arose out of whether it refused to install non-free software by
>> default (at that time I thought it didn't install anything non-free by
>> default and that you had to go out and install it if you wanted it.
>> However on watching a newly installed ubuntu box boot last night it
>> clearly says "loading restricted drivers" - so now I am not so sure.
>
>  From the horse's mouth, http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/licensing :
>
> "All of the application software installed by default is Free Software.
> In addition, we install some hardware drivers that are available only i=
> binary format, but such packages are clearly marked in the restricted
> component."
>

> So you, like me, probably chose to use the package like
> linux-restricted-modules-2.6.15-26-k7 :

No I don't believe I was given any choice at all. I installed ubuntu and =
had that package installed. There was no choice, it was just there. Not
that I personally object.

Also afaik the ubuntu kernel has the "non-free" elements that are removed
by, eg gNewSense. Therefore ubuntu is no more free than any other distro.
So from the FSF perspective ubuntu is out on two counts.

> "Non-free Linux 2.6.15 modules on AMD K7
> This package provides restricted modules for Linux version 2.6.15 on
> AMD Duron/Athlon.
> Currently the following modules are included:
>  - madwifi (Atheros)
>  - fglrx (ATI)
>  - nvidia
>  - fcdsl, fcdsl2, fcdslsl, fcdslslusb, fcdslusb, fcdslusb2, fcdslusba,
>    fcpci, fcpcmcia, fcpcmcia_cs, fcusb, fxusb (AVM ISDN)
>
> These modules are 'restricted' because they are not available under a
> completely Free licence."
>
> - At least I think I remember choosing to use that..
>
> But to answer Nick's Q, I like Ubuntu because it gives me a working,
> quite true Debian, easily. It is the Debian sensibility I like the most
> (if not the tricks required for using the Debian distro) at the heart o=
> Ubuntu, which has added its own enriching value layer too.
>
> hth, Rik

As said above, I have no personal objection to the use of some non-free
modules. I would prefer they weren't necessary, but I also prefer to have
my computer working!

One doesn't get a complete choice about hardware when buying, eg, a lapto=
p.

--=20
Nick Rout