[GNUz] Re: Naming Groups was: UTP Cables from Solid Core

Nick Rout gnuz@inode.co.nz
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 21:47:30 +1300

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 08:20:25 +0000
Jim Cheetham <jim@inode.co.nz> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 02:52:25PM +1300, nick@rout.co.nz wrote:
> > Rik I think everyone who uses Linux knows what a debt is owed to GNU in
>
> I think I'd have to disagree with that Nick ... most people who have
> used Linux and had significant discourse with the community (which ever
> one that is) may have heard of GNU ... but I'm sure there are people
> coming on board every day who will never hear about it.

Yes, perhaps I should have said "people who are members of the CLUG list knows what a debt in owed to GNU..."

> Take Linspire for example ... "Linspire is a full-featured operating
> system like Microsoft Windows XP or Apple Mac OSX." Mentions of Linux do
> not mention GNU in a parentage sense.
>
> > Anyway there probably is a need for a CLUG meeting in which licensing and
> > the current debates between "Free" and "Open" (and indeed "closed") are
> > discussed and explained. I suggest you as a speaker. Would you be up for
> > it?
>
> I wish I could be there for that :-) I think you guys could benefit
> from a more formal debate structure for that sort of thing - i.e. to
> submit a motion that "This house believes we should do more to value the
> contribution of RMS" ...

Yes I was wondering about a more formal debate. Reminds me of school.

As long as people remember that in a debate you argue for the side you are given, dispassionately. Maybe Rik should be put in the negative team. Nothing sharpens the argument like having to argue against your own normal position.

Lawyers know this methodology well: on the same day I might act for a finance company suing a bad debtor, and a bad debtor defending against a (different) finance company, running two sides of the same argument. Its healthy to do so.