[GNUz] Software Freedom Day 5

Rik Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Thu, 23 Nov 2006 10:19:36 +1300

Rik Tindall wrote:
> ..for Team Christchurch, SFD5: Weds 22Nov06 - Connectivity '06
> http://www.esconnectivity.org.nz - Christchurch Convention Centre..

Thanks very much to the GNUz people who attended this event. I trust you
found it worthwhile, as did I. Very much so.

We now know what this event is about, and how highly relevant it is to
our field - having overcome all obstacles from GNU-naysayers placed in
our way.

GNU/Linux had remarkable integration into this event, 'under the
bonnet'. We had a great and concise opportunity to interface with and
research the Canterbury ICT sector - for much future reference. N.B.
Everywhere else that FOSS had a foothold in this majorly-M$ event, it
was exclusively the 'Linux / Open Source' brands at work.

Software Freedom Day was advertised glaringly in place: the orange
SFD-Ts stood out, colour- but not shade-matched, against the grey,
black, burgundy and brown business-dress backdrop. The staring was
intense! - Enough of the cost-free reconnoiter: really interesting local
tech-familiarisation; time to get serious.

For next year, if we go, I'll work with Adrian to gather sponsors for /
participants in our own stall, and attend the whole day & a half. - And
buy a suit. We'll run a simple visual display, and concentrate on human
networking; it's a very rare chance to chat with our full industrial
community.

Great fun. Thanks again for your support at Connectivity '06 trade show
/ SFD5 (TeamChch).

Cheers & c u soon,

Rik