[GNUz] FSF announces release of gNewSense 1.0

Timothy Musson gnuz@inode.co.nz
Mon, 6 Nov 2006 02:04:10 +1300

Nick Rout wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 20:31:27 +1300
> Timothy Musson <trmusson@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
> > "gNewSense is a free software GNU/Linux distribution [...]
> >  http://www.fsf.org/news/gnewsense/

> from that page ""With all the kernel firmware and restricted
> repositories removed, and the reliance on Ubuntu's proprietary
> distribution management tool gone, this distribution is the most
> advanced GNU/Linux distribution that has a commitment to be 100%
> free.""

> What do they mean by "Ubuntu's proprietary distribution management
> tool" ?

Yeah, I thought that was bit odd, too. They seem to be referring to
something called "Launchpad", which I hadn't heard of before. Apparently
it's some kind of collaboration tool/service for software developers.

  http://launchpad.net/

According to their FAQ, their "goal is to release all of Launchpad as
free software, though it will take some time (potentially, years) before
that happens."

Here's a version of the gNewSense press release that does mention
Launchpad:

  http://os.newsforge.com/newsvac/06/11/02/2019216.shtml

Tim
--