[GNUz] SFD excellence..

Rik Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Fri, 01 Sep 2006 00:39:44 +1200

..there's no other word to describe it really. - The way that innovation
has picked up and run with this great 'global F/LOSS party' idea.

Check this out: http://sfs.mawsonlakes.org/picture-wall/ from
http://sfs.mawsonlakes.org/projects.php

Nick - you're world famous already! (sat next to the guy with the rebel
T). Did I post already about how far our SFD-06 teleconference prep has
progressed? - http://softwarefreedomday.org/gallery/2006/Christchurch

Well, I've reached the end of my technical knowledge now, and have a
question for those experienced with webcam use. - Steve? Have you used
Camorama at all? It runs great on Ubu-LTS, but how we configure it to
upload streamed images needs to be sussed.

It looks like we have to specify an ftp server somewhere, which would
pass the stream on to viewers elsewhere. It sounds like serious grunt is
involved, though the pipe from the library seems suitably fat. What do
you use for the Harbour, Steve? - Would that route suit / be available
to us for the two SFD afternoons? Can anyone suggest another short-term
loan ftp server link somewhere? Or is the process actually simpler than
I have understood it?

At any rate, I think you can see from this how interesting and cutting
edge the SFD concept really is. Getting CLUG in on the exciting fun
would be a boon to all, I am sure; the only problem being that we could
easily overflow the facility for welcoming newcomers into the *nix fold,
should the popular potential of this event be too quickly realised.
(Limit c70 in our two rooms.)

Thoughts folks?

Cheers,
--