[GNUz] Software Freedom Day

Rik Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:59:37 +1200

Hi Dru,

Sorry it's taken so long to reply. - SFD prep etc..

Dru wrote:
> Rik Tindall wrote:
>> Don Gould wrote:
>>> Upcoming events:  Software Freedom Day - 16 September 2006 -
>>> http://www.softwarefreedomday.org
>> It's a classically freeform, global movement subset, especially
>> popular in poorer, high-FOSS use continents - Africa, Asia, South
>> America - for one synchronised day per year, now settled on the 3rd
>> Saturday in September. Events take place in Europe & North America
>> too, but with less saturation. Oz is the exception for enthusiasm in
>> the developed world. Addition of NZ teams has run so: Christchurch
>> 2004 (inaugural); Wellington 2005; Hamilton 2006 - Yay! Go Interface
>> & WLUG!!
>>
>> There's no set format. It's up to local teams to devise their own
>> means of organisation and FOSS promotion. Some do public outreach
>> with giveaway materials in the streets; others utilise educational or
>> netcafe facilities to instruct from. Here we have relied on
>> commercial sponsorship for a training site and Press advertising. We
>> had 20 arrive the first year, and 60 in 2005. What binds the event
>> are free CDs, teeshirts, stickers, etc, distributed by
>> SFInternational (not a year old yet, with Wiki etc? teething problems
>> but the best of intent), and a genuinely strong sense of
>> international FOSS community and solidarity. The OpenCD were the
>> starter kit, but Canonical have provided major support since SFD2.
>>
>> In all my dealings with *nix/LUGs, I have found SFD to be by far the
>> most rewarding human experience of all - ahead of any other I've
>> known in public life too. It's a fun, satisfying day, requiring a
>> modest amount of work to put on. All are most welcome to join Team
>> Christchurch and enjoy building Software Freedom Day.
> After reading the site and your information I am feeling a little more
> informed now.  Thanks.  I think getting a strong turn out from
> university would be good. Would people bring there pc's in also? is it
> a more formal day like a convention?
Yes. We're having an Installfest too. Spread over two afternoons / one
weekend now. Informal, as we have to cater activity according to who
turns up & what they want to do - not predictable. But (near-)finished
ad is here:

http://www.infohelp.co.nz/sfd3

Do you want to be in? - 1st poster print run any day now.

> Is this mailing list just about promoting open source software?

It's a community, organising support workshops for that purpose and
whatever else people want to suggest here that is On-Topic. Q&A in time.

>> Andrew, it'd be amazing to see Treshna gain profile through SFD. How
>> can we help each other please?
> Not sure yet. I am wanting to get out there and try to promote more
> free software solutions in the next month or so but every dollar i
> have spent on promoting fsf though standard print and advertising
> channels I have found to not work at all. People just dont seem to
> care enough. Less and less of our marketing material talks about free
> software now. Word of mouth (both real world and though the internet)
> i think is the strongest way to spread the idea.

True. Just getting involved & meeting people is a good enough start.
Come see us on 16-Sept-SFD, if not before.

> Maybe linking to each other sites?  And i try and get out there more
> and talk to people about fsf.
>> At this point I should thank and introduce Gordon Findlay, of
>> Avonmore Tertiary Academy, for hosting SFDs 1 & 2. We've agreed to
>> try something different this year. Thanks too to Kevin Owers, The
>> Computer Broker.
> Is any of the other linux/open source companies in chch involved?

Were working on it - see the sponsor list on
http://www.infohelp.co.nz/sfd3 - this will be pasted up around town, uni
etc, & be published as an ad in the Press. Do you want to be in?

<Emphasis>

      *workgroup*

</Emphasis>

See you there(?)