[GNUz] Re: SFD update

Rik Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Fri, 18 Aug 2006 23:13:47 +1200

Hi Keith,

Keith McGavin wrote:
> Hello sfder's,
>               regarding the use of either the St Albans Resource
> Centre or the South Learning Centre in Beckenham. Which venue is
> the best location and does the 12-5pm of the st albans centre
> provide a better timeslot.

12-5pm and later is available at Beckenham, if we pay something for
security. Would that be acceptable Keith? I'll book the time extension.

And we are about to order the T-shirts - would you like one?

> If St Albans is selected I am willing to donate $20 to the $50 costs
> of the venue.

Thankyou very much for the offer Keith, but even more so for breaking
the wall of silence from klug. We kept the offer open as long as
possible, to the very last minute, but in the end a decision had to be
made and it has gone in favour of the free, vastly superior venue.
'Stuff klug' is how I feel, but i've been around it long enough to have
a firm bite on my tongue just now. Instead i will find out Monday if we
can book an attached room to the tuition suite, should klug actually
want to hold the (mini-)Installfest in conjunction with SFD that we saw
them 'resolve' to do earlier this year. If we can have that room i shall
advertise the minifest regardless, and worry about who is running it
later. But Chris Sawtell has asked me that 'clug' not be advertised or
publicly associated with SFD, so "there-is-no-clug" will have to clarify
that independently. I do not care any more - up to klug to prove what of
social substance is being built around the 'linux' brand.

Oh, btw fwiw, Don G was first option to benefit from SFD event
build-energy, out at Riccarton, and we waited for him to settle in too.
But Don decided instead that having an argument over proprietary titles
was more important than developing freenix user support.

So just in case anyone has any residual doubts about our shared culture
moving forward as FOSS - that suggestion has also met only stony silence
so far - here is what the opposite future direction looks like:

GNU/Linux GNU/Linux GNU/Linux GNU/Linux GNU/Linux GNU/Linux GNU/Linux..

'Linux'?

- Don't lie to us. We are not that stupid.

Cheers, and glory be to Software Freedom!

Hallelujah :-)
--
Rik