[GNUz] TUANZ Innovation Award - How about nominating Don?

John Carter gnuz@inode.co.nz
Fri, 07 Jul 2006 16:45:33 +1200 (NZST)

--Boundary_(ID_M6fLCcs0/TCmIXYXo+afYQ)

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006, Don Gould wrote:

> Which aspect of what I'm doing are you suggesting I should be recog=
nised for?=20
> I'm currently working on so many different projects that I'm a litt=
le unsure=20
> as to what you're suggesting is more 'more "innovative" and "value
>> for money" than practically anything else in the NZ Telecommunicat=
ions
>> environment at the moment.'

Everything I have seen from you has been pushing, trying, experimenti=
ng
with Community Based Networks.

While you can argue some of it has "been done elsewhere", the person =
have seen most actively "doing it here" is you. And certainly in the
Telecommunications in NZ arena it's the most "innovative" and "value =
for
money" notion going.

> I also feel that there are others amoung us as well who are also pu=
shing good=20
> ideas and giving support to what I'm interested in.  There is no wa=
y that I=20
> can take all the credit! :)

If you feel there is someone else in NZ more deserving of the Award,
please put his name forward.

Such awards are largely recognition of the Idea, while attaching a me=
dia
friendly name and face to it.

ie. Allocate someone who does "Community Networks" to be the media
spokesman for it.

The Community Based Networks are one of those things that will work
better if more people are doing it.

So apart from want to give you a richly deserved "pat on the back" an=
thanks, I want the idea of Community Wireless Networks to receive mor=
media attention.

Here is the entry form we would have to fill...

TUANZ Initiative of the Year Award 2006
Sponsored by

For a product, service or application facilitated or enabled by, the
innovative use of technology in New Zealand, or by a New Zealand comp=
any
overseas. Entries will be rated for the following:

30 points \u2013 Ground breaking nature of the innovation
30 points \u2013 level to which achievement is demonstrated
20 points \u2013 the importance and/or scale of the initiative
20 points \u2013 future impact of the initiative

Total - 100 points

PLEASE COMPLETE THE ENTRY FORM BELOW:
Name   Please enter your name
Job title=20
Company=20
Email=20
Phone=20
Mobile=20
Physical address=20
Postal address (if different from above)=20
ENTRIES WILL BE RATED FOR THE FOLLOWING:
30 points \u2013 Ground breaking nature of the innovation

Judges will need to understand how this initiative is likely to chang=
the face of telecommunications in NZ in a positive way.

They will be looking to understand all of the following matters which
should be addressed in your entry:

# Vision and understanding of what is of value to the telecommunicati=
ons user
# Clear statement of the intended outcome of the initiative
# =ADInnovation in delivering this vision
# Future development path of the initiative
# =ADHow it sets a new standard for others to follow
Max 300 words=20
30 points \u2013 level to which achievement is demonstrated

Judges will be looking for empirical evidence (eg surveys, studies,
customer statistics). Non-empirical evidence will not be considered.

These reports may be emailed to awards@tuanz.org.nz PDF format.

The extent of the market currently benefiting from the initiative mus=
t be stated.

The judges will be looking for evidence that this is an operational
reality and not a proposed future or partially completed initiative.

Max 300 words

20 points \u2013 the importance and/or scale of the initiative

Judges will be looking to understand how this changes the face of and
the impact on telecommunications in NZ.

Judges will be looking for answers to the following questions:
# How does this change the face of telecommunications in NZ?
# What proportion of the telecommunications market is benefiting from=
 this initiative?
# Which sectors of the telecommunications market are benefiting from =
this initiative?
Max 300 words=20
20 points \u2013 future impact of the initiative

Judges will be looking for answers to the following questions:

# Is this an initiative that others will follow either out of necessi=
ty
to retain or grow market share or because it is a better way forward?

# How will it contribute to the governments Digital Strategy goal of
\u201ctop quartile in the OECD\u201d.

Max 300 words

PO Box 1645 Christchurch                Email : john.carter@tait.co.n=
New Zealand

Carter's Clarification of Murphy's Law.

"Things only ever go right so that they may go more spectacularly wro=
ng later."

=46rom this principle, all of life and physics may be deduced.

--Boundary_(ID_M6fLCcs0/TCmIXYXo+afYQ)--