[GNUz] The French... want your wifi customers!

Rik Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Wed, 05 Jul 2006 13:57:05 +1200

Don Gould wrote:

> See:
> http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,19690995%5E15322%5E%5Enbv%5E,00.html
>

> The frogs are going to be leading the world with this kind of innovation!
>
> The benefits to commercial services and tourism is going to be huge!
>
> Tourists will use cameras to take photos and email them to friends and
> family direct from a PDA while they sit and have coffee or just take a
> break on a public bench while watching the day go buy.
>
> Not to mention the potential benefits for language aids....  pull up
> to a local point of interest, key in a number off a sign and get a
> stream of information on your PDA in the language of your choice.
>
> I could go on, but the ideas are making me cry as G3 data costs....
> ...to much to finish this email.

We're a software community, and once or twice monthly meeting
volunteers. Proposing commercial ventures for this disparate group will
fall mostly on deaf ears, though some will listen for new ideas. Those
that are willing to discuss what an organisational stage would look like
are most likely to be found on the other side of the wireless
mesh/filter we have built up at the Sydenham workshop. But even there
we'll still bring our own project views and drives, and need to be
convinced that any are viable. Good luck with integrating yours into
FOSS public outreach around SFD! That's the Freenix agenda for the next
three months (always subject to debate tho), and only by proving some
client demand - I believe - do we have any prospect of exploring
commercial avenues. But even given that outcome, there'll still not be
many ready to change being a FOSS user simply as a matter of individual
choice - and not to earn or gain anything more than use and experience
from it. So it's a very big ask, requiring a ton of patience and diplomacy.

Happy to help out where I can.

Cheers,
.02c / hth