[GNUz] Re: The Future of Community Wireless

Rik Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Thu, 22 Jun 2006 16:14:21 +1200

Don Gould wrote:

> Neil Stockbridge wrote:
>
>> what i'm really looking forward to is frivolous data, like using a VNC
>>
>> session to a machine on the other side of Christchurch instead of an SSH
>> session and like leaving a web cam feed open 24 hours a day.  even if
>> the bandwidth available is modest, it's not charged by the byte.
>
> Frankly Neil I think if we build it then we'll find applications and
> justifications for it...  I really don't see a lack of content being
> an issue.

What I'm finding is that _anything_ we can do with wireless as a group
(that's legal) is fun & informative. That is, we are a social cluster
first and a technology cluster second.

Wireless service development itself has become productive content for
our group, and, likewise, as yet unimagined and innovative content for
that will emerge as our technology skill and hardware base deepens.

In a few days I'll describe to CLUG the format that the next three
Freenix workshops will take - wireless conferencing. This fun
opportunity should attract enough FOSS experts/speakers to fill the
eight 30-minute presentation slots available for a public audience on
SFD (see http://www.hackstop.org/index.php/Current_events for the
relevant dates). We'll work as a group to cohere five hours of
comprehensive introductory content for the Linux curious, then
transplant our network to the St Albans venue on September 16th.

The fact that one month ago _nobody_ knew any of this was going to
happen this way demonstrates the power of (wireless) networking to
amplify individual capabilites and deliver truly interesting content.

We are still experimenting to find the best techniques, but (telecomms)
education itself is the dynamic content.

Keep talking.

cheers,