[GNUz] Voyage ppp-off

Rik Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Fri, 26 May 2006 23:45:18 +1200

Great pointers thanks Nick. I did find these:

root@P4Ubuntu510:/# locate serial_cs
/lib/modules/2.6.12-9-686/kernel/drivers/serial/serial_cs.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.12-10-686/kernel/drivers/serial/serial_cs.ko

Nick Rout wrote:

>>compiling a kernel package or getting an external modem.

This _is_ my version of 'external' for a lappie w/Conexant & no COMs! :P

>>I had to recompile the kernel to get my pcmcia wired ethernet to work.
>>I followed some instructions I found somewhere, I will hunt it out. The
>>trick is to make a proper debian/ubuntu style kernel .deb file then you
>>can just install it with dpkg.

A working kernel weekend then, and/or plan b) fix freebsd 6.1
(/re-disk/-install), or plan c) figure out why Ubuntu 5.10 hostap only
ran once, or plan d) get Dapper in here asap! e) any other ideas?

>>Its best to do it on a ubuntu or debian system.

Got that much.

> http://wiki.voyage.hk/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=voyage_kernel
>
> Required some small tweaking for use on ubuntu I think, but it was
> pretty easy at the end of the day.

Start early I guess.

>>Actually on a 2.6 system it will of course be serial_cs.ko, but it
>>doesn't exist either.
>>
>>Otherwise ask on the voyage mailing list and punky will do you a new
>>kernel and possibly include serial_cs from now on. However he is trying
>>to keep it small.

This is worth exploring!

At least standardising on Debian-based distros has make sense.

Cheers,