[GNUz] Voyage ppp-off

Nick Rout gnuz@inode.co.nz
Fri, 26 May 2006 22:46:25 +1200

On Fri, 26 May 2006 22:13:26 +1200
Rik Tindall <ask@infohelp.co.nz> wrote:

> > Aha! - so that's a "#modprobe serial_cs" required?
>
> Hmm.. an "#apt-get install serial_cs[/.o]" = "E: Couldn't find package".
>
> - What to try next please?
>
> cheers, rik

compiling a kernel package or getting an external modem.

I had to recompile the kernel to get my pcmcia wired ethernet to work.
I followed some instructions I found somewhere, I will hunt it out. The
trick is to make a proper debian/ubuntu style kernel .deb file then you
can just install it with dpkg.

Its best to do it on a ubuntu or debian system.

Actually on a 2.6 system it will of course be serial_cs.ko, but it
doesn't exist either.

Otherwise ask on the voyage mailing list and punky will do you a new
kernel and possibly include serial_cs from now on. However he is trying
to keep it small.