[GNUz] Voyage ppp-off

Rik Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Fri, 26 May 2006 17:59:04 +1200

Nick Rout wrote:

> what driver does your modem usually use? what is it? pcmcia? built in?

yes & yes

> what do you do in ubuntu to get it going? what driver does it use there?

rik@P4Ubuntu510:~$ lsmod | grep pcmcia
pcmcia                 26568  3 serial_cs
pcmcia_core            49348  4 serial_cs,pcmcia,yenta_socket,rsrc_nonstatic

gnome-ppp & ubuntu 'networking' can "auto-detect" the modem and run it
well, but set it up as ttyS5.

Win-string: ATQ0V1E0 - fails for Voyage.
Ubu-string: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 - will try that next.

> If it is a pcmcia modem then the use of cardctl ident would be useful:

# cardctl ident
Socket 0:
   product info: "MICROCOM, Inc.", "TRAVELCARD 28.8P DATA/FAX MODEM", "V0"
   manfid: 0x0105, 0x0101
   function: 2 (serial)

& I've done this:
lrwxrwxrwx  2 root root 13 May 22 06:43 /dev/modem -> /rw/dev/ttyS1

> cardctl ident will have told you which card is the modem (usually for
> one card in the slot and 1 for the other). You can then watch the kernel log as you eject and insert the card usuing these commands:
>
> cardctl eject 1
>
> cardctl insert 1
>
> (do not do this remotely to the card that you are using ssh through!!)

OK! no need to.

>>The important post there, i
>>reckon - while we await reply - is:
>>http://list.voyage.hk/pipermail/voyage-linux/2006-May/000860.html
>
> not sure why you place importance on that post.

Because it shows how much a) Ubuntu software packages can be advanced
compared to other distros, and b) this effect is flowing through to
other distros (like Voyage).

>>Good wifi support is becoming standard
>
> has been for ages i'm afraid.

Not the hostAP function, which is our sole concern here.

>>One Q: have been looking through Voyage online docs & /filetree, but
>>haven't spotted the source files yet? They may be needed.
>
> the source for what? It is all standard packages and a script or three
> isn't it? What source are you after?

Kernel headers (etc?) - to get Voyage up on screen well we are going to
have to modify the framebuffer(?) or whatever the hell is switched off
in the standard kernel to give us that naff cutdown display frame.