[GNUz] thanks guys

Rik Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Fri, 26 May 2006 15:46:38 +1200

Nick Rout wrote:

>>>How did you go getting voyage to use dialup as the wired leg?
>>
>>Still working on it, but all the ppp stuff is there. Tomorrow I'll get
>>on the ADSL link again, and apt-get install wvdial. I assume that will
>>make life easier.
>
> actually the standard debian pppconfig pon poff combination should
> work.

Good tip, thanks Nick. I had been running pon & editing 'provider'
default file, but still get a 'fault' exit. Neither pppconfig nor wvdial
detect or run the modem yet, while it's listed as ttyS1 IRQ3 at startup
- I assume that means the pcmcia/cardbus initialisation process was
complete prior to serial port id. That'd be lsmod to check? Am copying
modem initialisation strings across from other O/S dialers as we speak.

Saw your inquiry on Voyage mailing list. The important post there, i
reckon - while we await reply - is:
http://list.voyage.hk/pipermail/voyage-linux/2006-May/000860.html
Good wifi support is becoming standard, and note the covergence with
Ubuntu (2.6.16/17). My recent days have gone into finishing the FreeBSD
install that dodgy disks started, using sysinstall ftp & pkg_add. Wi0 is
looking healthy there too, though Gnome-X hasn't quite run yet.

One Q: have been looking through Voyage online docs & /filetree, but
haven't spotted the source files yet? They may be needed.

> You also need to configure it so that on successful ppp
> connection it runs the nat script:
>
> nat.sh wlan0 ppp0 "10.1.10.0/24"
>
> depending on your devices and wireless network range of course.

Ok, that'll be part 2.