[GNUz] Voyage setup part2: read-only

Nick Rout gnuz@inode.co.nz
Tue, 23 May 2006 16:31:08 +1200

On Tue, 23 May 2006 16:17:08 +1200
Rik Tindall wrote:

> Nick Rout wrote:
> >
> > everything is writable after remountrw
>
> I wonder if I've been writing to the ramdisk then? eg /root/ comes back
> empty despite #remountrw. I haven't bothered #remountro at close as I
> assume it won't matter.

remountrw

do the changes to the files in their normal place in th filesystem, eg

vi /etc/network/interfaces

not sure if you have to remountro after that, It cannot hurt.

> > about the only config file that needs changing is
> > /etc/network/interfaces
>
> # Used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8). See the interfaces(5) manpage or
> # /usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples for more information.
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
>           address 10.1.1.5
>           netmask 255.255.255.0
>           broadcast 10.1.1.255
> 	 gateway 10.1.1.1

Use the examples given by the voyage readme and the other docs on their
site. It is all set out quite nicely.

isn't your eth0 getting its configuration via dhcp from another machine? All you want here is

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

> > and if you want to change the dnsmasq config I suggest you do it in the
> > dnsmasq.more.conf file
>
> As that file excludes any eth0 reference [ah, that might be what's
> missing!], my dnsmasq.conf took this entry only:
>
> # Add other name servers here, with domain specs if they are for
> # non-public domains.
> #server=/localnet/192.168.0.1
>
> server=/10.1.1.1
> #added RT 230506
>

> Maybe just remove the '/'? ..Or the whole line?

Nothing needs changing other than /etc/network/interfaces

> Dale suggested recently that these ADSL modems have a mini-DNS in them.

usually they have DNS.

--
Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>