[GNUz] Voyage setup part2: read-only

Nick Rout gnuz@inode.co.nz
Tue, 23 May 2006 13:35:10 +1200

On Tue, 23 May 2006 12:38:09 +1200
Rik Tindall wrote:

> So here's the process used - can anyone spot the fault?:
>
> # cd /dev/hda9[Xandros]/rm * -R
> # cp ~/voyage-0.2.tar.gz voyage-0.2.tar.gz
> # tar -xvf voyage-0.2.tar.gz [creates folder: voyage-0.2]
> # mv voyage-0.2/* /dev/hda9/
>
> That put the filesystem into place, and it boots ok using:

Actually I would say that a fault might be not installing it via the
installer, but I am not sure what more the installer does. I know it
configures the startup scripts according to what sort of computer you
are running on, and performs a number of initialisations. eg it asks
this question:

Which module to install?
        1 - WRAP
        2 - 4501/4801
        3 - 4511/4521
        4 - Notebook (pcmcia)
        5 - Generic PC
        (default=5):

If you want pcmcia to go this will be an important part of the setup.

By the way the installer is in the root directory of the tarball and is
named voyage.update. It is relatively easy to understand.

The readme should be read, it is here:

http://cvs.voyage.hk/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/voyage-install/README?rev=1.14

(which is referenced off the voyage home page.)

Please also note that the installer will install lilo on the target
drive. This is not so good if you are installing it to a partition on
your laptop. If you comment out line 273

#update_lilo $INIT

It will skip doing lilo. You will then have to set up your bootloader,
which i see you have sussed already.

--
Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>