[GNUz] Freenix Workshop Thurs 4/5/6

Rik Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Sat, 29 Apr 2006 12:35:55 +1200

Hi folks,

This Thursday, May 4th @Sydenham Community Association Hall, 25
Hutcheson Street, Christchurch, starting 7.30pm, is an Ubuntu/FreeBSD
explore, with a  wireless focus.

The format is to answer any questions people have for using Ubuntu,
explain its maintenance, use dialup to go online, and share that
connection wirelessly. I.E. the wireless network setup tools will be
reviewed. We'll link up any wireless-enabled systems people bring along
thus (Don? Chris? ...?)

After our break we will compare FreeBSD 6.0 for the same function, and
hear from Dale DuRose why we should want to. Reading handouts will be
supplied.

Repair & install help commences with the tea break.

All welcome, donations cover costs ($2 minimum please).

Update - Green Room:

The Wednesdays, 10-2pm "Free Linux Tuition" at 16 Bedford Row Chch, is
advertised through the Green Diary e-mailout each week, to all Green
Party members. Interest is strong, with the small space open four, and
full two week's running now. Because of the limited space and volunteer
assistance involved so far, this workshop has to be clearly delimited in
its aims:

Lesson 1 (for me): _everyone_ showing up for help so far has read "I'll
teach you about Linux for free" as "I'll fix your  Linux box for free".
That's fine, because we're all learning from it ;-)

Lesson 2: we have to stick to what's on offer - GNOME on Ubuntu. In
other words, due to the limits of volunteer expertise and room to put
more (so far..), the KDE user equipment that arrives will get bounced
back to the LUG.

Sorry, but that's as much as we can do without expansion of this program
(which amounts to getting politically active on behalf of our favourite
operating system: "Linux? - You're worth it").

See ya,