[GNUz] Isn't Clark Connect non-Free?

Rik Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Fri, 07 Apr 2006 22:45:09 +1200

Great. Now we're making the same progress onlist as we have in meeting
mode. Thanks Jim, & everyone.

Jim Cheetham wrote:
>... under the GPL - no-one said you have to be able to
> download just one file to get the sources. However, if the full chain of
> sources are not available, that's a problem.

The practicality of their source provision system could be better, but
we have to credit CC with having one.

<snip>

> All of this is provided best-of-breed from standard open source stuff
> under Linux; however it's non-trivial to tie it all up together into a
> single management utility (and I don't count Webmin as such a beast,
> although in many ways it's the closest there is in the general outside
> world)
>
> FreeBSD is a nice distro (I run about three FreeBSD machines in the UK)
> but I don't think it has a significant advantage over Linux; on the
> other hand, OpenBSD has an extreme focus on security and reliability --
> don't choose distros on just how cool they sound :-) choose them on
> their precise functionality benefits.

Much as that may seem to be the case, the choices derive purely from
which platform experience volunteer expertise is practically forthcoming
(hence FreeBSD, which would also be a useful revisit for us). In
BSD-land, this represents walking before we can run (OpenBSD).

Someone may quicker point us in the direction of GNU/Linux solution. I
would predict - but not quite expect - a Debian-based proposal quickest.
[As your recent news item post indicated, Debian is in reality
surprisingly conflicted as a project concept in practise.]

> Match CC with ...
>     * Internet Gateway ; Linux as a router
>     * Firewall ; iptables
>     * VPN ; openvpn or openssh
>     * E-mail ; postfix or exim
>     * Bandwidth and P2P Manager ; iptables and l7 module
>     * Intrusion Prevention ; iptables, logcheck, denyhosts, snort
>     * Web and FTP Servers ; apache, proftpd
>     * Antispam/Antivirus ; amavid|mailscanner, clamav, spamassassin
>     * Content Filtering ; squid
>     * File and Print Services ; samba
>     * Data backup ; rdiff, rsync, unison
>
> -jim

Your list adds significantly to the infrastructural support still
gathering around Don's project. Top advice.

Thanks again,
--
Rik Tindall, InfoHelp Services <http://www.infohelp.co.nz>