[GNUz] Re: last night's Freenix meeting...

Rik Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Fri, 07 Apr 2006 11:40:27 +1200

Christopher Sawtell wrote:

>I could give a bit of a demo about setting up interfaces and routing.
>It's quite a big subject and I'd prefer to leave address masquerading for
>another day so that there is time for others to have their say.
>
>To demonstrate routing properly we need to set up a tiny net so if other
>folks could bring a lappie or three on which I could run Knoppix or some
>such LiveCD that would be a good idea. Don't forget a couple of hubs
>and/or X-Over cables. I have one but we need a couple more to do the job
>properly.
>
>RSVP.

Thanks very much Chris for contributing what you did. All the meetings
are affected by the disparity between advanced- and beginner-level
explanation needs. So although it can prove difficult to address both
sets of demand simultaneously, it seems we will always be working at
improved means for solving that. Having you around sure deepens our
skill level, and is much appreciated ('18 years ago I first typed the
letters v and i at a computer terminal', if I quote you correctly).

Thanks Don for a broadly challenging project outline towards community
wireless network provision. It has been great to see such good support
for Don's efforts and determination to add to *nix community. More ideas
surfaced for the next Freenix workshop (Thursday May 4th), but we remain
open to new topics or requests at this early stage. Make your input here
or on the *GNUz <http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/gnuz>
*mailing list, as you wish.

Thanks everyone for your workshop participation and interest.

Cheers,

--
Rik Tindall, InfoHelp Services <http://www.infohelp.co.nz>, on:
Ubuntu GNU/Linux 5.04 free OS, 2.6.10-5-k7 kernel, GNOME 2.10.0 desktop