[GNUz] netcafe news

Rik Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Tue, 28 Mar 2006 11:51:54 +1200

Jim Cheetham wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 11:49:24AM +1200, Rik Tindall wrote:
>
>>2. Any "Linux-based" exercise within this "community trust" would create
>>a direct "conflict" with their M$ work. [?!]
>
> Well, if you have the time and inclination, it would be interesting to
> see that statement clarified. Either they're talking rubbish, or there
> really is some hidden sub-clause of a bizarre microsoft license
> somewhere that actively prohibits you. In which case, a lagal opinion on
> the validity of the license, a post to Groklaw and the newspapers and
> the local MP would be in order :-)

I can tell you what I know, treading slowly & carefully as the MM lease
premises are still the most economical I have come across. Negotiating
some cowork agreement seems the sensible starting approach. The MMC
Trust meets irregularly, but since I've phoned again they should next
week come out with some formal response to my *nix expansion suggestion.
I shall pursue the requested detail, Jim.

It's probably a simple matter of MM fearing that any *nix box sales will
eat into the M$ recycling agency. The Computer Broker - whom I consulted
& got a reference from first - saw the *nix workshop initiative as
'growing the PC market' positively, on the face of it. Awaiting Vista (+
2007 delay), we're perhaps now looking at all distros' key market
moment: extending current platform life vs premature upgrades.

>>3. For $300 per week, any lessee can pretty much do what they like.
>
> Except for competing with Microsoft?

No, we are allowed to, so long as _we_ pay the rent. We need to set up a
new trust or commercial enterprise to do that, because Molten are
internally counterposed to utilising *nix. They do give out CDs (Ubuntu
etc) from their counter, however. Pragmatically, they seem incapable of
taking *nix on (skills deficit). We could offer free training, but the
sense I'm getting back is 'hostile takeover' fear. Though this does not
apply.

--
Rik Tindall, InfoHelp Services <http://www.infohelp.co.nz> on:
Ubuntu GNU/Linux 5.10 free OS, 2.6.12-9-686 kernel, GNOME 2.12.1 desktop