[GNUz] Spam address harvesting

Richard Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Thu, 24 Nov 2005 12:58:34 +1300

Jim Cheetham wrote:

>I've just received a spam email directed to my GNUz-specific email
>address. The most probable cause for this is a security breach on a PC
>belonging to a GNUz subscriber.
>
>If you operate a PC with Microsoft software, please check for spyware or
>other malware that may be responsible for leaking information out to the
>world. If you are using Microsoft application software for accessing the
>Internet (Outlook Express and Internet Explorer being the most likely
>suspects) please consider using an alternative in future.

Well it ain't me, but I did recently clear a viral breach off one of Sue
M's XP boxes. That possible source has therefore been remedied, and will
now be double-checked.

Thanks Jim, sorry for the bother,

--
Rik Tindall, InfoHelp Services <http://www.infohelp.co.nz>, on:
Ubuntu GNU/Linux 5.04 free OS, 2.6.10-5-k7 kernel, GNOME 2.10.0 desktop