[GNUz] O/S compare

Wesley Parish gnuz@inode.co.nz
Sun, 06 Nov 2005 14:13:52 +1300

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 08:29, Jim Cheetham wrote:
> >> They sell computers - subtle difference. OS/X could become a standalone
> >> product quickly though, post the x86 shift.
>
> Apple have open-sourced the underlying OS, Darwin. They have retained a
> closed status on their graphical interfaces and on their application
> framework, which is what people using a Mac generally interact with.
>
> Their x86 move is on to 'standard' x86 chips, but they will only support
> installation on Apple-assembled machines, just as they do now. Early
> developer versions have been seen to run on standard PC machines, but
> Apple don't like it, and will probably use both technical and legal
> avenues to prevent it from happening.

But given that OpenDarwin plus X plus window manager runs happily on an X86
PC, and given that GNUStep is a clone of OpenStep which was the opened specs
of NeXTStep, which is also the basis for the current Macintosh OS X's
graphical interface, I'd say the horse has already bolted.

Apple should sit back and enjoy the ride.

Wesley Parish