[GNUz] freebsd

Rik Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Thu, 03 Nov 2005 00:51:32 +1300

dave wrote:

>used Frebsd 5.2 release (nick i think i gave you a copy of this)
>
>have tried a couple of times with this version last time on a brand new shiny
>200Gig Hd only for it to bork at the geometry settings looked at the bios
>settings (partition i wanted to use was 20 gigs it gave me @ 1gig after
>entering bios geometry settings and it got as far as installing selected apps
>only to bork at no space!!!

Sounds like you got thrown unecessarily. I got that 'wrong geometry' msg
from the partitioner too, was told to ignore it, and installed no problem.

Gotcha is to get table correct with fdisk beforehand, & expect no
Win-style extended partitions to be visible (use a primary - low hda/ad
# - instead ) to install to.

>running oldish hardware (aptiva amd 500 with @ 386 ram).

Should be a good use for that.

>would love to see it running and have another system to try out (a reason for
>the big HD)
>
>dave.

Where were you? ;-)

runs v.well

hth,

--
Richard Tindall, InfoHelp Services <http://www.infohelp.co.nz> on:
Ubuntu GNU/Linux 5.10 free OS, 2.6.12-9-686 kernel, GNOME 2.12.1 desktop