[GNUz] why bsd? - grounder piece

Richard Tindall gnuz@inode.co.nz
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 21:48:12 +1300

"11. Lot of Unix flavors, Microsoft and other Operating Systems. A
newbie does a google on unix open source and sees a page full of Linux
keywords. What is the best way to encourage newbies to use and consider
FreeBSD in favor of others? How would you advocate this?"

"I always stress the importance of the academic environment that BSD
came from and the fact that it has nearly 30 years of history behind it.
You simply cannot get that wealth of engineering knowledge from Linux.
Several of the original key players in BSD from the 70's and 80's still
participate actively in FreeBSD development, and again there simply is
no substitute that in other projects. In my personal opinion, FreeBSD
really is a great base for learning the principles of computer science
and engineering."

Scott Long - FreeBSD Release Engineer -
http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35212

+ For the user: simplicity (=speed), stability, securability (..?)

--
Richard Tindall, InfoHelp Services <http://www.infohelp.co.nz> on:
Ubuntu GNU/Linux 5.04 free OS, 2.6.10-5-686 kernel, GNOME 2.10.0 desktop