[GNUz] Re: FreeBSD was ubuntu update errors

Andrew Turner gnuz@inode.co.nz
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 14:10:41 +1300

Richard Tindall wrote:

> Yeah!

>>> I have now, rebooted, but still "$... gdm-binary: Only root wants to =

>>> run gdm"
>>

>> Have you changed the /etc/ttys file?
>

> Not yet.. (what into?)

Good, It means xdm isn't running from there.

>> gdm dosn't like to be started from there and xdm could cause a conflic=
t.

> So then I should (hash)#-out the 'gdm_enable=3D"YES"' in /etc/rc.conf?

No that is the correct location to start gdm from.

> Insight, ta. [How do I automate the loading? - reading..]

Add snd_ich_load=3D"YES" to /boot/loader.conf

/boot/loader.conf is the file the loader reads to get the modules to =

load and kernel options from before loading the kernel.

>> The relative Device section for the config file appears to be:
>>       Section "Device"
>>           Identifier "Intel i810"
>>           Driver     "i810"
>>       EndSection
>

> From: =

> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html=

> "5.4.3 Advanced Configuration Topics
> 5.4.3.1 Configuration with Intel=AE i810 Graphics Chipsets
> Configuration with Intel=AE i810 integrated chipsets requires the =

> agpgart AGP programming interface for X11 to drive the card. The =

> agp(4) <http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=3Dagp&sektion=3D4> dri=
ver =

> is in the GENERIC kernel since releases 4.8-RELEASE and 5.0-RELEASE."

I have a working X11 config file I can send you if you need it.

Andrew